I found some good quality watercolors and a pencil drawing that I paid 1 pound for, signed by EH Shepard of one of the illustrations from Winnie-the-Pooh. The drawing is from one of my favorite bits where Pooh is climbing into an umbrella and explaining to Christopher Robin that "Sometimes it's a Boat but othertimes it's an accident, depending upon whether I am on top of it or underneath it". It does look like an original drawing and I know the author and illustrator were from somewhere around here, but I haven't taken it out of the frame to look with a magnifying glass. Anyway, it made me happy to purchase those 2 items! And actually later in the day after Tryfan woke up, we went back to the sale as they were nearly all packed up and done with, and found 2 child-sized paddles (for our canoe!) and Tryfan found some green child-sized scissors and a small blue car, so we were happy all over again.
Saturday, October 09, 2010
Bikes in the forest
Today the kids and I hung around and did various fun but low key things while Rhodri worked on a project in the back garden. They keep begging to ride bikes every minute they can so we set off into new terrain today. We turned the other way out of the driveway and cycled down the sidewalk a hundred meters or so, then crossed the road and went into the forest on a gravel road.
The leaves are starting to turn and fall, and it is such a treat to be outside in these conditions! We followed the road which was mostly flat or downhill, then went down a big hill until the road turned into someone's private land and there we turned around and went back up the hill. It was too steep to pedal up so the troops walked and pushed their bikes up. I kept expecting complaints and whining about being tired etc, but they raced up the hill each trying to be the first one to the top, and then turned around and went full speed back down. Here is Tryfan pushing really hard (you can tell because the tongue is sticking right out!).
We rediscovered the huge grandaddy Beech tree which has a nice place for standing at the base. We first discovered this in the summer when cousin 'Crazy' Gabs was visiting us. I didn't capture the full immensity of this tree here, so look further down for a wider view.
See how huge it is?! The place they were standing is on the backside of the tree from this angle.
Anyway, after our bike riding expedition we went back to the house for lunch. Then Tryfan announced he was tired and wanted to sleep so he climbed into bed and had a nap (how cool is that?!). And while he was sleeping, Rhiannon and I went to a 'Jumble Sale' (aka Community Garage Sale) at the village hall just down the road. I gave Rhiannon 1 pound to spend, and with it she got a pink skirt, a pink dress, a shimmery after-bath powder box (which was brand new), and a feather boa, and with all that still had 55 pence left!
I found some good quality watercolors and a pencil drawing that I paid 1 pound for, signed by EH Shepard of one of the illustrations from Winnie-the-Pooh. The drawing is from one of my favorite bits where Pooh is climbing into an umbrella and explaining to Christopher Robin that "Sometimes it's a Boat but othertimes it's an accident, depending upon whether I am on top of it or underneath it". It does look like an original drawing and I know the author and illustrator were from somewhere around here, but I haven't taken it out of the frame to look with a magnifying glass. Anyway, it made me happy to purchase those 2 items! And actually later in the day after Tryfan woke up, we went back to the sale as they were nearly all packed up and done with, and found 2 child-sized paddles (for our canoe!) and Tryfan found some green child-sized scissors and a small blue car, so we were happy all over again.
I found some good quality watercolors and a pencil drawing that I paid 1 pound for, signed by EH Shepard of one of the illustrations from Winnie-the-Pooh. The drawing is from one of my favorite bits where Pooh is climbing into an umbrella and explaining to Christopher Robin that "Sometimes it's a Boat but othertimes it's an accident, depending upon whether I am on top of it or underneath it". It does look like an original drawing and I know the author and illustrator were from somewhere around here, but I haven't taken it out of the frame to look with a magnifying glass. Anyway, it made me happy to purchase those 2 items! And actually later in the day after Tryfan woke up, we went back to the sale as they were nearly all packed up and done with, and found 2 child-sized paddles (for our canoe!) and Tryfan found some green child-sized scissors and a small blue car, so we were happy all over again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment