One sort of trendy thing to do (especially out in the country where we are) is to make Elderflower Cordial or Elderflower Champagne. I tolerate but do not love the smell or taste of Elderflower anything, but since they grow on Elder trees (and there are several around here) and are free to harvest, I figured I would try making something. I decided on the champagne version because...well, I like champagne and so even if this has a low alcoholic content and tastes of elderflowers, I figure it is worth a shot! So I harvested some elderflowers the other day and followed this recipe...
The man driving the car was wearing a football (soccer) team uniform and had a brightly colored plastic bag which he quickly put in the trunk of his car when he saw me approaching. I walked past, said hello (with my black bags of rescued plastic bottles from the dumpster), and kept walking. As I turned around I could see him putting the brightly colored plastic bag suspiciously into the bus shelter! Then the car sped away with his hazards still flashing (clearly distracted or paranoid).
I got home, told Rhodri about the episode, and he immediately persuaded me to go back to see what was in the bag! Soooo, I did this and that is when I met Roy, a Welshman (from south Wales) who has been walking around the world collecting statistics on "Spontaneous Hospitality". Here is Roy and his "push/pull" contraption:
So, Roy spent an hour or so (more, I think) chatting about his findings which he has compiled over the past 10 years and keeps neatly written on the back of a cut out cereal box (durability, i suppose) inside a laminated map case. At the moment Roy is making his way from Cardiff to Israel, by way of Belgium and Turkey and whatever else is in between. Definitely an interesting fellow. Here he is getting ready to walk to Crowborough (about 9 miles away), photo taken around 2pm.
1 comment:
what did you find in the bag?
Post a Comment