Thursday, January 10, 2013

SAS skills

Today I was at Forest School with Tryfan's class (as is normal on a Thursday morning), and it was the first one of 2013 so a bit exciting just because of that. We always do something a little structured in the first half of the session and then have free play for the last half. The children all have their own things planned for this time and I get to hear tidbits of conversation in reference to what the different children are planning as we are walking to the site. Tryfan's ideas normally center around Transformer, Star Wars and Power Ranger characters and his favorite play buddy is Oscar. So usually these 2 + whoever else they rope into their game are running around the woods with sticks as their pretend weapons. (Sounds more dangerous than it is...)

Today I didn't actually overhear anything too specific and was more tuned into other conversations so I didn't know that Tryfan and Oscar were planning a secret stealth hiding game. When it was time for free play, I did spot Tryfan quiet and very still behind a tree but didn't think much of it. I found out as they were all leaving to walk back to school that he had peed in his pants because he didn't want to move and get spotted by Oscar! He wasn't too upset about it and his teacher reassured him that there were clothes to change into, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But Tryfan really never pees himself so it was unusual.

When we got home and Rhodri heard the story, he was VERY PROUD of Tryfan demonstrating such advanced special forces (SAS) skills at such a young age. Rhodri is a wannabe SAS military operative, so I guess it was only a matter of time before he starts grooming Tryfan and Rhiannon to be the same.

No comments: