Monday, April 27, 2015

Independence day

Lately Rhiannon has been really flexing her muscles of independence. She is always asking if she can venture out to various places on her own or with a friend / Tryfan. Finally the other day I agreed to let her and Tryfan and Zoe make their own way to the swing in the forest. They happily ran off and I stealthily followed them to make sure they held hands while crossing the road, etc. They did a good job and soon Bentley and I went down to just check in on them (although we hadn't been far away the whole time). They begged to be able to come home on their own in 15 minutes, so I agreed to that but then raced home and asked Rhodri to go hide in the bushes and watch them get safely home. As it turned out, their teacher happened to drive by as they were preparing to cross the road! He asked them at school the next day, "What were you guys doing all alone in the forest?" and they proudly said that I let them go on their own. So I had to go up to him later to explain that we hadn't actually left them completely alone, and he said that he already knew that because he had spotted Rhodri in the bushes! Anyway, it felt like a landmark day in the life of Rhiannon.

No comments: