Sunday, February 25, 2018

Weekend on Peaks Island

We got the news that Aunt Carol passed away last Monday (Feb 12th) and it was nice that my Mom and Aunt Kim could be there for some of her final days and to keep Jackie company. Since I needed to go to Houston for a week at the end of Feb anyway, I ended up being able to detour for a few days to Maine on my way.
I flew London to Boston on Thurs Feb 22nd, then got right onto the Concord Coach Lines bus up to Portland, then a quick taxi to the ferry terminal, then the 5:35pm ferry to Peaks Island where I was met by Val who drove me to Jackie's house! A very smooth journey indeed. 

Jackie and I had a quiet but special weekend together. We just talked and hung out, and went for the occasional drive around the island or to pick up bits and pieces from Hannigan's market. I got to meet some of the characters that have been a big part of her & Carol's life - Val and Macey primarily. And although it is late February, the weather was quite mild and beautiful.
 The morning I left it was starting to snow, and Macey gave me a lift to the 10:00am ferry so I could be met by dear Kara on the Portland side, then driven to the airport for my 12:25 flight. That flight ended up being delayed by 2 hours which meant I missed my connection in Detroit and had to be rebooked onto another flight, but I got to Houston eventually!


No comments: