Sunday, March 24, 2019

Rugby festival

Tryfan was due to play in a rugby festival today up in Dorking, about an hour's drive away.
Normally Rhodri is there of course as one of the coaches, but since he is still in Norway that meant I would have to take him. I was really looking forward to it, actually, since I never get to see him play. It was a gorgeous Sunday morning, too, and the drive from our house to Dorking along country lanes was fun since there was some weird WW2 motorcycle rally along part of the route (going opposite direction) and we saw some really cool bikes and outfits.

However, Tryfan wasn't feeling very well at all this whole morning and definitely was not keen on playing. So in the end, he played half of one short game and we left early. Kind of a big bummer, but I had a lot of discussion with the coaches and with other parents about it, and at this level of play, if the player is not willing or able to give 100%, he shouldn't play. It is such a physical game with full tackles and so forth, and it is more dangerous if one is not going to give 100%.  Hopefully I'll get to see him play another time. The team itself did really well, though, and came from behind to win a few of the games that we did see.

No comments: