Thursday, June 28, 2007

Decisions

In preparation for the arrival of #2, I have been investigating the options for birth. We interviewed a homebirth midwife several weeks ago and really liked her. Then I went to visit a new birthing center in downtown Oslo and I was really impressed! The birth center visit was initially a token effort because having a home birth was my preference, but I am so glad I went because this is the option that we are going with. Its a little bit backwards to have a homebirth with the first child and then go to a birthing center for the second, but that is what we will do.

The birthing center is called Føderiket, and it means "give birth richly" or something like that. It was created by a team of midwives -- 5 of the 8 of them are former homebirth midwives -- in order to provide a natural birthing option for low risk pregnancies. The reason that the government agreed to fund Føderiket is because they realized that there is no longer enough statistics or data about what a natural birth involves! Most births (certainly in the USA but also in countries like Norway) involve some kind of medical intervention such as epidural shots, labor induction medication, and cesearian sections, so people are losing touch with actually what is normal for a natural (unmedicated) birth. The 5 year plan for Føderiket is to ramp up to 12 midwives and then be able to provide both pre-natal and birth care at the facility and also homebirth for those who want it by always having 2 midwives available to go attend a homebirth at any time. The facility is in an old brick building which feels more like a house, especially since there is a nice kitchen in it. Each of the birthing rooms has a big jacuzzi bathtub, shower, double-size bed, couch and some other stuff.

So I am excited about this option although I am sad about not being able to give birth at home. Then again it may be better in some ways to go away from the house, leave Rhiannon in the care of her Grandma Debi and Aunt Heidi, and have some time alone with the new baby and Rhodri. That's the plan anyway -- what actually happens might be something completely different!

No comments: