I found this glorious raspberry patch after breakfast today when I took Bentley out to our communal soccer pitch/ playground for his morning constitutional. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as I blinked in disbelief at the perfectly ripe, easy to reach, delicious raspberries at waist height! The only down side is the occasional stinging nettle plant interspersed with the berry branches, but a handy pair of garden gloves (which I ran back for) relieved this irritation. So how could our neighbors-in-the-know let all these little juicies survive this long? Ha, ha! You see, right now most of Norway is on vacation so our neighborhood is like a ghost town. Raspberries all to myself... I mean "ourselves". I found that the best strategy for harvesting is to go pick berries after meals when I am not too hungry. Rhodri and Rhiannon thank me for this!
Monday, July 09, 2007
Berry patches
Anyone that really knows me knows that I absolutely love picking berries. In this regard, I am not alone in this country of avid berry-pickers! So imagine my delight when I discovered not one but TWO wild berry patches over the past 4 days. The first one on Friday when I was doing an experiment outside behind my office and quite literally stumbled on tiny wild strawberries. Needless to say, my experiment got a bit delayed but not too much since the berries were along the ground and bending over to pick them with my big belly in the way wasn't a whole lot of fun. This made my second berry patch discovery all the better....
I found this glorious raspberry patch after breakfast today when I took Bentley out to our communal soccer pitch/ playground for his morning constitutional. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as I blinked in disbelief at the perfectly ripe, easy to reach, delicious raspberries at waist height! The only down side is the occasional stinging nettle plant interspersed with the berry branches, but a handy pair of garden gloves (which I ran back for) relieved this irritation. So how could our neighbors-in-the-know let all these little juicies survive this long? Ha, ha! You see, right now most of Norway is on vacation so our neighborhood is like a ghost town. Raspberries all to myself... I mean "ourselves". I found that the best strategy for harvesting is to go pick berries after meals when I am not too hungry. Rhodri and Rhiannon thank me for this!
I found this glorious raspberry patch after breakfast today when I took Bentley out to our communal soccer pitch/ playground for his morning constitutional. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as I blinked in disbelief at the perfectly ripe, easy to reach, delicious raspberries at waist height! The only down side is the occasional stinging nettle plant interspersed with the berry branches, but a handy pair of garden gloves (which I ran back for) relieved this irritation. So how could our neighbors-in-the-know let all these little juicies survive this long? Ha, ha! You see, right now most of Norway is on vacation so our neighborhood is like a ghost town. Raspberries all to myself... I mean "ourselves". I found that the best strategy for harvesting is to go pick berries after meals when I am not too hungry. Rhodri and Rhiannon thank me for this!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Berries are our emergency fruit - it is the one thing that tames our toddler. I'm gonna miss berry season....have you found blueberries yet?
Yum.
Post a Comment