Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pippi revelations

We have had some days (okay, this was last week now) of glorious clouds -- whites, grays and blues that move quickly across the sky and burst into hailstorms or brief intense rainstorms and then move on to leave blinding bright sunlight in their wake. I love this weather -- just barely warm enough to be called "warm" unless you are in the shade and the wind picks up, and then its not warm anymore.I have been going around whistling the theme tune from Pippi Longstocking recently. Once that song is stuck in your head, watch out! It sticks around. We have been borrowing the DVDs from the library and I have been happily transported back to memories from my youth. Indeed, some of the songs are still part of my daily life...I sing this one all the time to Rhiannon:
We're all together, we're all together
And together we'll be happy and we'll have a lot of fun!
Its a whole new experience to watch Pippi in her native tongue rather than dubbed over into English. By the way, I am referring to the 1970's TV series featuring real people, NOT any modern cartoon version. We watch the original version in Swedish with Norwegian subtitles, and I have my Norwegian dictionary close by. Many things make sense now - I remember one episode when Pippi, Tommi and Annike went camping and cooked their food over a fire that they built, then they went to bed and the sun was still shining! I remember thinking "Wow, they are only 9 years old and are allowed to play with fire?" and "Oh they are such good kids to go to bed while it is still sunny outside and no parent telling them that they had to!". It all makes sense now because children here are taught how to build and cook on outdoor fires by the age of 5 (and often earlier), and of course it doesn't get dark here in the summer until well past midnight. Pippi revelations! Now if I could just get that dang song out of my head...

1 comment:

Espi, Lisa and Isabella said...

This reminds me of the TED Talk:

5 Dangerous things you should let you kid do

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/202