
My precious Dad passed away yesterday.
Or maybe it was the day before still in California.
It's tricky and awful being very far away from loved ones sometimes, and it certainly complicates time lines and chronology.
His passing was a sudden, unexpected, untimely, devastating blow to all of us.
He was an extraordinary person and the most generous and loving father and grandfather that could have ever existed
. He touched thousands of peoples lives with his compassion, gentle wisdom, and enthusiastic smile and I'm so grateful that I knew him. I was very, very lucky to have had him as my Daddy.
We told the kids this morning because we changed our flights to come to California a day earlier than planned. We wanted to give them time to digest the news and also to prepare them for people crying and being sad.
Rhiannon burst into tears and said, "So...you mean...that there is no more Grandpa?" And I said, "Well, Grandpa is up in heaven now. He still loves you and can see you. But you won't be able to see him anymore, except in pictures and videos." We all sat on the carpet and cried together and hugged each other for a long time.
A bit later after I had been to the shops with Nia (who arrived the same day as the news and who will be housesitting with her family of Cris, Gabi and Valentin while we are away), and the kids had been for a walk in the forest with Rhodri and Bentley, I checked in with Rhiannon. She told me that she is not so sad anymore, she is happy! "Why's that, Rhiannon?" I said. "Because I've been writing my name in the sky and waving at Grandpa", she said, "Haven't you been waving at him?" "Well, I've been waving at him in other ways but I should probably start doing it so he can see me", I said. Oh my goodness, that touched me.
5 comments:
I am sad for your loss. He will continue his greatest job as your guardian angel and keep your family safe.
Prayers and love to your mother and all your family.
Chuck I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs.
Oh Lisl, I'm so sad for all of you. I hope Debi will be okay. My prayers go out to the whole family. Rhiannon has the right idea..... See you soon
My thoughts are with your family.
Lisl-Sounds like Rhiannon is on top of it. When my uncle died, Rio asked why I was sad and I said that I wouldn't be able to see him anymore. So Rio ran off and came back a few minutes later with a picture he had drawn of two stick figures holding hands. One was me and one was my uncle (with a proper partially bald head and everything). He told me I could look at it whenever I felt sad. I'm so sorry you missed seeing him on this trip but I know your family is glad that you can be with them now. You'll all need each other. Love, love, love...
Post a Comment