The other day I participated in a sort of "taster session" at Forgewood with Lou for the summer day camp/ holiday club that she wants to run this summer at the Forgewood Campsite. This was on a Thursday, and normally I would be running Forest School with Tryfan's class back at home, but this was a special occasion so I mobilized my campfire cooking stuff and spent the morning cooking over a fire.
 |
| My firepit and the parachute-covered gathering area in the background |
I was inspired by
an article I read in a magazine about a Swedish chef, and in the article was one a recipe for cooking potatoes and other root vegetables with autumn leaves. As there were plenty of leaves on the forest floor, I figured the children could help cook by collecting leaves for me.
The recipe is actually just 2 steps: Step 1: cook, but don't overcook, the vegetables by boiling them with leaves and water. Step 2: serve, instructing the diners to use their hands to crumple the vegetables and dip them in butter before eating. I loved how primitive and basic it all sounded. It was a very enjoyable morning spent mostly by myself getting the fire to a good stable cooking condition and then doing enough vegetables to feed 30 adults + 40 kids!
 |
| Here are the remnants at the bottom of my biggest pot (my canning pot!) |
No comments:
Post a Comment