Saturday, November 24, 2012

My birthday party

I always feel weird on my birthday, and usually not in a good way. Its nothing to do with being a year older - I'm just always emotionally on edge and then relieved when the day is finally over.
This year was the same except a lot better because it was just a normal Monday and nobody at work knew, so I could just get on with the day without any expectations. And it was lovely to receive a smattering of messages from loved ones who remembered.

But for my birthday this year, I had stepped out of my comfort zone and planned a party! What inspired me was thinking of our longtime family friend, Susie Williams, and how she plans fun things for others on her birthday. So she gets out of herself and focuses on giving to others on her special day. Thinking that way helped me be able to plan a dinner party at Forgewood Barn. My vision was to have a destination dinner and boogie where you go to a small place in the middle of nowhere, have a gorgeous dinner, then clear away the dishes and chairs, turn down the lights and turn up the music, and have a little boogie! Rhodri and I went to a place in Italy about 10 years ago which was like this and it was superfun. Anyway, that was my original vision and in the end the party was beautiful and special but there was no dancing.

Lou had done all the orchestration of the night: arranging the menu with Chef Ed,  making leaf bunting with the children at Nursery, coordinating the transportation of everyone with the help of Emma, liaising with Rhodri to get some "defining moments" photos of me through the years so everyone could laugh, and then decorating the Barn with leaves and candles and the pheasant wings from our Foraging workshop last weekend. Then she was the MC and made the whole evening really special and fun. I didn't take any photos so you'll just have to imagine...
A converted barn with exposed beams on a cathedral ceiling, white walls and wood tables and chairs...lots and lots of tea lights and autumn leaves scattered round the 2 tables (one seating 8 in a square and one seating 4). We had 8 courses to eat through the evening, and between each one we did a Chinese Fire Drill (carrying our beverages) so that we could all have a chance to sit next to everyone else at some point. And so, there were 12 of us ladies and as I looked around the room I felt so grateful to know these beautiful women. 
A heartfelt thanks to those who made it possible..

No comments: