Thursday, October 10, 2013

The forgotten bike commute

I've been so far behind lately, I had forgotten to post about the bike ride that the kids and I did one day in September: we rode TO school on the 2nd day of the school year (Thurs Sept 5th).
Getting ready to set out for school
We left plenty early and it was fortunately a gorgeous day that ended up being really hot actually!
In action riding down Tanyard Lane
Blackberry break along the way
 It turns out that it is about 1.25 miles, mostly downhill, from our house to where we left the bikes near school. The last part of it is totally off road down an overgrown bracken-and-brambles footpath!
Dodging spiky brambles and stinging nettles on the final stretch
We made it with plenty of time to spare. The kids were SO STOKED to have been able to ride their bikes to school today! In the end they went to a friends house to play after school and so I picked both them and their bikes up so we didn't have ride home uphill in the heat. But it was a really successful commute and I'd love to do it again with them.

No comments: