Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Birthday Girl

Today Rhiannon turned 8 years old.
Last night we went out to dinner to La Casa in Nutley so that we could celebrate her birthday (as this evening I had another event to attend). We love La Casa and it was such a treat to go out for dinner on a Monday night!
Making a wish on the eve of her 8th birthday
She was really happy to be able to open some really nice presents this morning, but then she told me in a small, disappointed voice that she didn't have a Birthday Badge to wear. I had forgotten about this small but special item in my preparations, so I hurriedly converted a matchbox into a sparkly gold Birthday Badge. It took a few iterations of glitter distribution and safety pin location, but she was smiling in the end.

At the end of the day, however, she was less smiley. When Tryfan and Rhodri left for taekwondo practice, Rhiannon and I took Bentley for a walk in the forest and had a little chat. She sadly told me how today was just a normal day, and everyone just treated her as normal instead of special. I understand that feeling, and it is a sad feeling. Anyway, I tried to remind her that she had a slumber party coming up in just a few days, and that seemed to help a teensy bit.

And so, at a full 8 years of age, Rhiannon:

  • is very sensitive and thoughtful of others
  • has many creative ideas
  • has a very nurturing and gentle way with anyone who is younger or smaller than her
  • usually has a particular vision for how things ought to go
  • is a good dancer
  • is really good at drawing
  • loves reading
  • has good manners most of the time
  • loves the kittens (nearly cats now) and Bentley
  • has a contagious laugh and sparkly eyes

No comments: