Friday, July 11, 2014

Kristiansund revisited

This week I went back to Kristiansund, Norway for the 2nd of my 2 visits. It coincided with the semi-finals of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, and I couldn't resist staying up late with my colleagues to watch the games outside at a Brazilian restaurant.
 It happened to be stunning weather while I was there and while we had to be inside working for most of the day for Tues-Wed-Thurs that I was there, we did make a trip round the island in one of the boats just to get some fresh air.
Stanley let me drive this workboat and I was pretty nervous at first, but then I got the hang of it and found it really fun.
Me driving the boat with Paul and Rick behind
 I flew back early on Friday morning - flight left at 7am from Molde, which is a 1 hour drive from Kristiansund. It was a gorgeous morning with beautiful light and clouds over the mountains.
One great thing that happened on this trip is that I received a gift from the universe! I had finished the book I was reading on my flight to Norway and had forgotten that it is hard to find books in English over there, so I was resigned to reading magazines and doing work on my travel back to England. However, as I was waiting to get on the plane in Molde - and I was one of the last people to get on the plane - I was standing by a trash can and I saw that there was a book on top of it in English! Nobody else was around, so clearly someone had finished reading it but couldn't bear to put it in the trash, so left it for somebody to find... and that somebody was me! I was absolutely thrilled to dive into "The Circle" by Dave Eggers on my travel back today.

No comments: