Today was the Kestrels' hosted school assembly with the theme of Anti-Bullying.
Kestrels is Rhiannon's class, years 5 and 6 together with Mrs G-J. Since I was working from home this day, I was able to go along and watch it. What a treat! They acted out scenes with bullies and the bullied, and then asked the audience mid-scene for ideas on how to use "the power of good" to change the situation. Kids from the younger years of the school volunteered their ideas, and then the scene actors would choose one of the ideas and then use it to finish the scene, acting impromptu! It was truly heartwarming to watch this, both in terms of the ideas coming from the younger kids and also the nimbleness of the actors to make things up on the spot.
But the best bit was the song that they performed at the end, called "Bad Bully Blues".
I didn't attempt to record this on my phone, but I wish I had a copy to share here. I hope to get a copy in weeks or months to come and then update or submit a new posting. What made it so special was that James (Zoey's dad) wrote the song especially for this event after discovering that there were no good anti-bullying songs out there on the internet for kids to learn and sing. So he wrote one and then the Kestrels class has been practicing it all week.
Here are the lyrics to Bad Bully Blues:
I know you stole my lunchbox
And you filled it up with glue
You said my hair looked stinky
And you locked me in the loo
You kicked me in the corridor
Where no one else could see
But the fact remains and will not change
You just can't bully me
Maybe you remember something
Very very bad
You never told a soul
And even now it makes you sad
Maybe someone picked on you
And made you feel a wuss
But the fact remains and will not change
You just can't bully us
I feel lonely
I feel sad
I feel like hurting
And do-----ing
Something bad
One day did someone turn on you
And make you feel small?
You didn't want to face the world
You curled up in a ball
You think the pain will go away
If you just pass it through
But the fact remains and will not change
We won't be hurt by you
I feel lonely
I feel sad
I feel like hurting
And do-----ing
Something bad
Courage
Forgiveness
Humility
Respect
Perseverance
Honesty
Friendship
Love
So why not talk to someone
Share the pain that's in your heart?
A teacher or a grown-up
Knows that listening is an art
There's not a single one of us
Who's not felt pain that's tremendous
I know this rhyme is awful
But what matters is the simple fact
We need to help each other
And we won't be hurt by you
Or anyone
Or anything
Ever
Ever
Ever
Ever
Kestrels is Rhiannon's class, years 5 and 6 together with Mrs G-J. Since I was working from home this day, I was able to go along and watch it. What a treat! They acted out scenes with bullies and the bullied, and then asked the audience mid-scene for ideas on how to use "the power of good" to change the situation. Kids from the younger years of the school volunteered their ideas, and then the scene actors would choose one of the ideas and then use it to finish the scene, acting impromptu! It was truly heartwarming to watch this, both in terms of the ideas coming from the younger kids and also the nimbleness of the actors to make things up on the spot.
But the best bit was the song that they performed at the end, called "Bad Bully Blues".
I didn't attempt to record this on my phone, but I wish I had a copy to share here. I hope to get a copy in weeks or months to come and then update or submit a new posting. What made it so special was that James (Zoey's dad) wrote the song especially for this event after discovering that there were no good anti-bullying songs out there on the internet for kids to learn and sing. So he wrote one and then the Kestrels class has been practicing it all week.
Here are the lyrics to Bad Bully Blues:
I know you stole my lunchbox
And you filled it up with glue
You said my hair looked stinky
And you locked me in the loo
You kicked me in the corridor
Where no one else could see
But the fact remains and will not change
You just can't bully me
Maybe you remember something
Very very bad
You never told a soul
And even now it makes you sad
Maybe someone picked on you
And made you feel a wuss
But the fact remains and will not change
You just can't bully us
I feel lonely
I feel sad
I feel like hurting
And do-----ing
Something bad
One day did someone turn on you
And make you feel small?
You didn't want to face the world
You curled up in a ball
You think the pain will go away
If you just pass it through
But the fact remains and will not change
We won't be hurt by you
I feel lonely
I feel sad
I feel like hurting
And do-----ing
Something bad
Courage
Forgiveness
Humility
Respect
Perseverance
Honesty
Friendship
Love
So why not talk to someone
Share the pain that's in your heart?
A teacher or a grown-up
Knows that listening is an art
There's not a single one of us
Who's not felt pain that's tremendous
I know this rhyme is awful
But what matters is the simple fact
We need to help each other
And we won't be hurt by you
Or anyone
Or anything
Ever
Ever
Ever
Ever
No comments:
Post a Comment