Today was the most magical day.
I took the bus yesterday late morning from Boston to arrive into Portland at 1pm. Aunt Carol and Jackie met me at the station and we went for lunch at a nice place on a hill somewhere. We did a trip to the grocery store and also Trader Joe's, then caught the ferry to Peaks Island. After a bit of exploring and settling in, we had happy hour and then dinner. It was so amazingly nice to land with these lovely ladies and be so well cared for. I felt really spoiled!
Then this morning I woke to gorgeous sunshine, and scampered down to meet the 8am ferry because my long lost friend Kara was on it! This was the first time we'd seen each other in exactly 20 years (last time being in Aspen when Rhodri and I were road tripping through and we got separated and Rhodri stayed out all night!). Kara and I ran around the island, then had breakfast with Carol and Jackie. It was a short visit, but a really great one. I'm so glad that we were able to make it happen.
I walked with Kara back to catch the 10:45 am ferry and then returned to the house to hang out.
Later on, we took the golf cart out to first go to the beach (I took a very quick swim) and then run errands in town.
I went into the umbrella cover museum (the only one in the world!) just in time to sing the shop's theme tune, "Let a smile be your umbrella" and get a special tour by Nancy 3. Hoffman, who by coincidence is performing tomorrow night a special evening devoted to bug songs! She is in the Guinness Book of World Records for having 760 umbrella covers in one space. And in fact, now she has about twice that because so many people have sent in new ones for her display.
Back home, bit of golf watching, then we had an early dinner
and walked to the beach to watch the long sunset and walk along the road
with Jackie causing trouble and getting heckled.
Like I said, it was a magical day :-)
I took the bus yesterday late morning from Boston to arrive into Portland at 1pm. Aunt Carol and Jackie met me at the station and we went for lunch at a nice place on a hill somewhere. We did a trip to the grocery store and also Trader Joe's, then caught the ferry to Peaks Island. After a bit of exploring and settling in, we had happy hour and then dinner. It was so amazingly nice to land with these lovely ladies and be so well cared for. I felt really spoiled!
I walked with Kara back to catch the 10:45 am ferry and then returned to the house to hang out.
Later on, we took the golf cart out to first go to the beach (I took a very quick swim) and then run errands in town.
Like I said, it was a magical day :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment