Friday, December 09, 2022

Happy collection

Meeting Rhiannon at the International Arrivals area of Heathrow Terminal 5 was in retrospect a highlight of the month or maybe year.  I even tear up a bit just thinking about it.  We had been in text communication since she touched down, so I knew when to pay close attention to faces walking through the arrival doors. I saw my girl before she saw me, and I positioned myself at the end of the roped off area so she could come straight into my arms. Ahhhh, that gorgeous moment of a tight tight hug that didn't relax or even allow any words to flow for like 10 minutes. It was such an indulgent, long awaited embrace in a moment I had been dreaming of for months. It was so powerful, and even now thinking back to this moment, I can go back there in my mind and feel the closeness of my daughter in my arms. I hope I can retain this memory for the rest of my life.

Anyway, eventually we de-clung from each other and found the car, then drove home. Of course, she had a similarly dramatic and emotional reunion with Rhods before she settled into her bedroom and started to unpack. However, it was not a day of rest since she wanted to see Evie straightaway.  So Rhi and I did a grocery store run on the way to collect Evie in Uckfield and then came home for the afternoon.


It was so wonderful to hear the two of them laughing together and filling the house with teenage girl noises.

No comments: