Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A distinct lack of pumpkins

Halloween has [reluctantly] made it to Norway these past few years, but only in the form of candy and costumes. It is impossible to find any real pumpkins or even any canned pumpkin! I was looking forward to baking some pumpkin bread, but it's kinda hard when there is a complete lack of pumpkin product to work with. Boo (not the scary kind)!

We had a handful of trick-or-treaters though, each wearing one of the 4 or 5 costumes available from the stores -- mostly witches and devils. Part of me wishes we could have dressed Rhiannon and maybe even Tryfan in some cute outfit and been able to post Halloween pictures of them, but I have to admit that it is only a very small part of me that wishes such a thing! I am happy to just celebrate the last day of October by itself...not that we did much to celebrate it. Today Rhodri, Tryfan and I practiced getting out of the house again. This time we went to Trekanten, the local (Asker) shopping mall. And actually this morning it snowed for about 15 minutes! Nothing stuck to the ground though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisl,
Use winter squash instead of pumpkin - it makes a very acceptable substitute for pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, etc.

We did that for years in Brazil.

Love,
Dad