Sunday, July 06, 2008

Rain don't stop us

After yesterday's 11am high of 90 deg F, the afternoon weather came in big time. The temperature dropped 30 degress over a few hours and we had thunder and lightning along with lots of rain. The rain continued all night and all day today. But that didn't stop us! Rhiannon and I went to the self-pick strawberry farm at 9am this morning and joined the rest of the Norwegian nutters who were out at this hour on a rainy Sunday morning to do manual labor! We picked ~12 lbs of berries, although the "we" was actually just me. Rhiannon stood and watched the tractors move around and ate the berries that I had just picked, then proceeded to go socialize with our picking neighbors in adjoining rows until she declared she was cold and we left.

This afternoon I got to go horseback riding with my friend Hanne! Not ideal conditions for it, but I wore my stylish orange-and-yellow rain ensemble and had a great time anyway. I used to have a horse (that I shared with my sister Heidi), so I am familiar with horses and so forth. However, I had forgotten how big and strong they are! Walking alongside a horse is not like walking alongside a Bentley-type dog. When my horse Pelle wanted go to the left and eat bushes, I had a heck of a time getting him not to do so. But anyway, the rain stopped and skies lightened for us to go on a lovely ride through the hilly forest near Bogstad Gaard. It was so exhilarating to gallop through the woods and even through a shallow river! Now, however, after I have had a hot bath with sea salts and other muscle soaking potions, I reckon I will feel this day throughout the rest of the week. It was worth it though to have a day free of the house and the family.

No comments: