Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's Day

I love New Year’s Day. I love the feeling of waking up with a clean slate. This morning was no different, even though Tryfan woke up around 12:45am and then didn’t go back to sleep until sometime after 3am and then Rhodri’s stupid alarm clock kept going off from 7 -8am and nearly got thrown out the window. So I wasn’t in the most cheerful of moods when I got out of bed to send off my parents. Tears were shed and I was really sad to kiss them goodbye. And then to top it off, this particular morning was absolutely stunningly gorgeous…clear sky, cold, and a tiny crystalline sprinkling of snow on the ground (that had fallen from 11:30pm until about 10 minutes past midnight just to provide a magical foreground to the barrage of fireworks that filled the sky). Not the kind of day that one can legitimately lounge lazily on the couch or go back to bed after breakfast, although I did try.

But I couldn’t sleep so I got up and took Bentley on a walk up to one of my favorite viewpoints. From there, I could survey the entire area out to and across the fjord, up north to downtown Oslo and the mountains all around. The fjord was glassy with a lone passenger ferry slowly approaching the port of Oslo just as it does every morning about this time, and I thought about New Year’s Day in years past.

We have a tradition in my family which is that every New Year’s Day we go out to breakfast at 8am at the Brown Pelican (in Santa Barbara). This little restaurant is right on Hendry’s beach and it is nothing flashy, but it’s a lovely location. The “we” in family is used loosely and means whatever assortment of friends and relations happen to be around. Some years it is just 2 or 3 people, other years we have had around 20. After breakfast we always go for a walk on the beach and then finally go home around midday. It’s a great way to start the year and now it is burned into my psyche so I really have to get outside in the morning on New Year’s Day. So even if the rest of the day is a struggle (as this one turned out to be), at least we got off to a good start.

No comments: