Sunday, November 01, 2009
Halloween Potluck Party
We had a Halloween Potluck Party yesterday which turned out to be a big success! The invitation said "Find something to wear and bring something to share", and that's what we all did. Here we are, Tryfan as a Firefighter, Rhiannon as a Pirate, and me as a Kitty Cat. Rhodri was a Cowboy (photos further down).
I think the concept of a Potluck was new to most of our invitees, but everyone put in a great effort. The food was outstanding; we had samosas with dipping sauces, a yummy salad, chili-marinated chicken with couscous, meatballs with new potatoes, muffins, cakes, toasted pumpkin seeds, carrot & coriander soup, two different quiches, cookies, eyeballs (grapes with raisins stuffed inside and frozen), roasted beet quinoa salad, and probably more which I've forgotten about. Of course there was plenty of candy around, although none of it was provided by us. Somehow, Tryfan managed to not eat anything except for sweets the entire night -- I eventually just gave up trying to get him to eat something else. But I think this is the first time in the history of Norwegian parties where there have NOT been either polsers (hot dogs) OR coffee. Hurray for diversity! We also played some games. Here is Rhodri the Cowboy and our little Firefighter getting ready to "Bob for Apples" in the cooler. The spread of food is behind.
We also played "Musical Statues" (where the music plays and everyone dances, then when the music stops, everyone has to freeze) and then 5 of the kids played "Musical Chairs". We started the party at 4pm and our last guests left just after 9pm, and the count was 17 adults and 11 kids.
I probably put too much effort into it, as some of the decoration subtleties and festive touches were lost upon the group... the frozen hand in the punch bowl melted quickly and the fingers broke off, the oranges that took me forever to hollow out so the kids could decorate them were a non-starter, and not many people ate the freshly toasted pumpkin seeds. I'll try to remember that next time in hopes that I won't stress so much on the day! It's an awful lot of work putting on a party, and Rhodri was feeling under the weather so that was less than ideal. In fact, both kids and Rhodri have been coughing a lot lately, so I sent out a message to all invitees on Halloween morning warning them as such, and sadly 2 families canceled as a result. The kids are not sick - just coughing a lot, but we wanted people to know this ahead of time. All in all, we had a good party but I'm pretty glad it's over. In fact, as I write this entry it is 4:30pm on the day after Halloween and 3 of the 4 of us are still wearing pajamas. I would still be in my jammies, except that Bentley still needed to go for a walk outside. Anyway, there we are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment