Saturday, December 12, 2009

Rhiannon's birthday party

Today we celebrated Rhiannon's birthday by having 9 of her friends (mostly from barnehage) come over. After eating some cheese quesadillas (totally non-traditional Norwegian food for a birthday party, but I am SO sick of hot dogs!), we played "Musical Statues". Here are the kids dancing to Mamma Mia...
After playing a couple of games and then just letting the kids run wild for awhile, we opened presents. Everyone sat in a circle with their gift and Rhiannon spun a bottle in the middle to see who would give their gift next. A couple of the parents stayed for the whole party which turned out to be great since they could help with the language translations!
After another session of running wild (jumping off the chair and couch, racing cars down the hallway, pretending to be babies in Rhiannon's bed, so on and so on..), we all sat around the table one more time for some cake. I made a birthday train out of Jello and we had some gingerbread cookies that Rhiannon and I had decorated earlier in the day.
Here is a close up of the birthday Jello train. I used empty milk and juice cartons as forms and did a mix of packet 'Gele' and plain gelatin sweetened with grape juice. We had vanilla sauce on top of the Jello and it was all very yummy (if i do say so myself!).
For the birthday finale, we had each of the kids shout down their hellos and say their names for the troll that was hiding downstairs. The troll would shout back that he was only a very nice troll and they could have a goodie bag as thank you for coming. Well, the troll meant to say this but as he was improvising in pidgeon-norsk and trying to talk in a very gruff but nice voice, I don't know if he was completely understood! We had a basket tied onto the end of a rope in the middle of the stairwell that the kids pulled up from the downstairs troll to receive their goodie bag. And that was the two hours gone! I think everyone had a good time but we were happy when it was finished. Phew!

No comments: