This week I travelled to Kuwait for work. I've never particularly wanted to visit Kuwait, but I was very grateful for this opportunity. First I travelled to Dubai to meet up with a colleague from Nigeria, and then we travelled together to Kuwait. We stayed in a hotel in Al Ahmadi for 2 nights (Sun 21st and Mon 22nd April) before going out to the camp for 3 days.
 |
The white outline is the Kuwait country border, with the green A showing Al Ahmadi, the red square shows the approximate location of the camp we stayed in for 3 days |
 |
| My colleague Nnamdi |
 |
| Lovely view of an oil refinery from my hotel room |
 |
View of the Camp - 600 people are based here and everyone lives and works out of these containers which are on wheels so they can move the camp as needed. |
 |
| This is the Shisha Smoking Area |
 |
| Closer view of the containers and sand blowing between them. |
 |
| This is the Mine Garden, which contains bits and pieces of the Iraq-Kuwait war found in the area |
I was there to talk with the people who are working on this land seismic crew, and also to see the operation in action as I've never actually visited a land seismic operation. It is such a massive operation which is running 24 hours a day with 300 people working in the field at a time, and hundreds of big trucks and efficiently managed teamwork. I was really impressed with the people I talked with and grateful for the chance to be here.
 |
| These are the guys who are laying out the geophone sensors and the cables |
There were so many camels! They were just walking around the desert and would go back to their Bedouin tent camps at night. Each herd of 20-100 camels were accompanied by a Bedouin guy who was making sure they stayed safe.
 |
| Some cute baby camels and their Mama |
 |
| Camels in the distance |
 |
| Another camel |
It was great travelling with Nnamdi. I learned so much about Nigeria and the history and dynamics between the 3 main tribes (Ibo, Hausa, and Yoruba), as well as about his previous position in Sudan and South Sudan. We were a good team together during this week because we were representing the Training and Development department of the company. So we had some good and interesting discussions with other people and also between us.
But I'm glad to be home now! I got back on Friday night and we've had a really great weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment