I've been dreaming about coming back to Val d'Isere for 19 years, which was the summer that I did my Geology field work for 6 weeks in this place. Those 6 weeks were very long and traumatic for me, due to the fact that my backpack with wallet, passport, glasses, contacts, sleeping bag (i.e. everything valuable) was stolen on my way to Val d'Isere. I made it there eventually (a very long story) and survived the summer but my memories are still very intense and somewhat bad. What I remember most is being cold and hungry a lot of the time. Anyway, I've been dreaming of going back there in the summer to revisit my old field area and explore the gorgeous mountains. It is truly a beautiful place! And although Rhodri did briefly visit me there 19 summers ago - to rescue me and escort me back to Wales at least - he hadn't spent much time here at all so it seemed a worthy choice for our 15 year anniversary.
We flew to Lyon, rented a car, and drove to Val d'Isere, stopping in Bourg St Maurice for a look around which ended with a funny escape through the back roads of the town trying to outrun a cycling race!
Beautiful mountains and clouds on the way!
We flew to Lyon, rented a car, and drove to Val d'Isere, stopping in Bourg St Maurice for a look around which ended with a funny escape through the back roads of the town trying to outrun a cycling race!
Beautiful mountains and clouds on the way!

No comments:
Post a Comment