Monday, August 27, 2018

Journey to Peaks

Cat picked me up at 1:15 and we headed to Gatwick for our 4:15 flight which ended up being delayed by 1 hour. We tried to sit together but were not able to in the end and we both had middle seats, so... not ideal but we survived the flight. When we landed in Boston at 7:45pm, I thought we could still make the 8:35 pm bus to Portland, but the immigration queue was soooooo, soooo long it was ridiculous! Cat and I got separated since we have different passports and it was her first time to the USA.
As I was inching along in the immigration queue, I was starting to realize that we were probably going to miss the bus we needed to be able to catch the last ferry, which meant that we would need to find a hotel in Portland... uh oh!  Fortunately there was free wifi in the queue so I did some hotel searching until I got a text at 8:33 pm from Cat saying that she had my suitcase and was through to the arrivals!

That is when I took drastic action:  I flagged down a security guard guy and asked if I could possibly jump the queue because I was traveling with someone else who was already through and we were trying to catch the last bus. He paused and then said, 'Sounds like you need to come with me' and lifted the cord so I could go underneath and jump to the very front. I found Cat and we ran through the airport to the bus stop and discovered that the bus hadn't arrived yet! Crisis averted by a sympathetic security guard - that NEVER happens! We made it onto the bus when it did arrive, and then rode for 2+ hours up to Portland where we took a taxi to the ferry. We had time to have a quick beverage before the last ferry at 11:30 pm and found the Subaru that Val had left for us to drive to Jackie's house. What a journey!

No comments: