Friday, January 26, 2024

Lipizzaners and music

 Today I took a detour on my way to the airport and attended a morning exercise session at the famous Spanish Riding School.  Here is the building that houses the famous arena.

I actually got a bit choked up as I entered what felt like the grand ballroom.  The enormous crystal chandeliers and the marble pillars and ornate ceiling was all just so beautiful, a little feeling formed in my throat, a little tangible lump of gratitude that got my nose tingly and made me feel like crying. 
And then here I am in my excellent seat in the gallery in the middle of the incredible space.  I knew that we wouldn't be allowed to take photos or videos during the session, so I got my seat neighbor to take this photo of me before it actually started. 
And while they didn't practice the flying move that they are most famous for, it was absolutely wonderful to just sit and watch the beautiful horses trot, canter and sort of dance around the arena to classical music. 
This was from a poster outside the arena that shows the famous flying jump move.
Anyway, after this magical hour I made my way to the airport and flew home. 

No comments: