Thursday, October 19, 2006

Not all Guinness and skittles

I saw a poster once that said "Life is, unfortunately, not all Guinness and skittles" (actually it was an old 1920's advertisement for Guinness). At the time I thought it was funny because I thought it was referring to Skittles the candy, not realizing it was about Skittles the game.

Anyway, that phrase was in my head today as I was thinking that we are past the 'new-and-exciting' phase and into the 'bit-more-difficult' phase of our new life here. I have found that Norwegian people just walking around town etc do not smile or acknowledge other people walking around town.

So a bit of unfriendliness, combined with a turn in the weather, combined with the fact that we still have not found child care help for Rhiannon and I have been needing to be at work a lot recently have all resulted in me feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Meanwhile, the Minx is doing well and we have been keeping her cozy warm as you can see in this photo - we thought she looked like one of the Teletubbies!

2 comments:

Espi, Lisa and Isabella said...

You are an amazing person and mother --your strength and courage to make this huge change is a wonderful gift to your daughter. This may sound crazy but when I get in a rut sometimes I just walk slowly as if my feet are kissing the earth (my walking meditation).

the Lewis Family said...

Thanks Lisa
I will try your walking meditation method -- that is a really good idea!
miss you
Lisl