Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Worst case scenario

It's been a very long day today.
I have been very much under the weather these past few days and Rhodri has been holding it all together, but today he fell under as well. To make matters worse - far worse, in fact - Tryfan had a slight fever yesterday and so he couldn't go to barnehage today. Yes, he is coughing a bit and so is Rhiannon, but they both behave like their normal, energetic, cheeky selves. This morning we were going to take Rhiannon to school and leave Tryfan home with us. We realized that he would be sad without her to play with but it would be too chaotic with both home. Then Rhiannon told us that she wanted to stay home with Tryfan, so we had no choice but to comply. Rhodri and I agreed that it is an absolute worst case scenario when both parents feel terrible and both kids are home needing to be supervised and feel closer to fine.

We made it through the day, but it was not pretty... toast crumbs all over the couch and the floor, DVD cases open and the labels removed, nearly every children's book relocated from the bookshelf to the floor, wooden train tracks zigzagging below a layer of stuffed animals, wooden blocks, cars, strollers and dolls. Gee whiz, what a mess! We had a mandatory midday nap for everyone from 11:15am - 1:30pm, with Rhodri having his solo bed rest in the morning and me in the afternoon. Then we had an early dinner of chicken noodle soup (oh how I wish they sold Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup here! Then I wouldn't have had to make it from scratch) and early bedtime for the kids. So we survived. Just.

I shouldn't leave Bentley out of this day, either. I think today was a worst-case scenario for him as well. He didn't get a chance to go out for his morning pee until nearly 11am! Poor guy was crossing his hind paws and whining to get out. It's no fun for Bentley when his parents are not up for facing the -10 deg C conditions outside. Big up to our friend and neighbor Harini who agreed to take him out for a nice walk this evening. However, last week he did have a pretty good run of things - he got to go x-c skiing nearly every night with either Rhodri or I. I hope we can get back into this routine soon!
Hopefully tomorrow will be brighter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU POOR BABIES! It doesn't sound like much fun! I wish some of us were closer to help out!! So...do you need a case of chicken soup mailed to you?? How about some soothing CD's? We love you--Hang in There! Love-SBGram

Anonymous said...

Lisl & Rhodri - that sounds simply awful. There is only one known solution - MEDICINAL COMPOUND!! And of course drinking to Lily the Pink, savior of the human race!
Love, Dad