Friday, September 03, 2010

First day of school

Today was Rhiannon's first day at school!
Such a big milestone, and I can't believe that my baby girl is already in school with all the big kids - wearing a uniform nonetheless. She was pretty excited about it though.
Here she is ready to leave the house in her new school uniform.
She is going to the local primary school rather than a private or independent or otherwise 'fancy' school. In fact, I still haven't really worked out all of the different school options in this country but anyway I like this one which all of the neighborhood kids go to as well. There are only 61 kids in the whole school and it is just a small stone building in the middle of the forest. Tryfan will go to the childcare/ nursery part, but he won't get to/ have to wear a uniform. Tryfan and Rhodri came along with me to see Rhiannon off to her classroom today. After all, one only starts school for the very first time once.
Today was only a half day but she was very excited when I came to pick her up. They had all done handprints to commemorate this occasion and their teacher wrote down how each child felt about starting school. Rhiannon said that she felt "sad and excited".
Here she is sizing up Joe (our friend and neighbor). It was so cute to see all the familar faces of the neighborhood kids wearing their new school uniforms.
Rhiannon's class is a mix of Reception (aka Kindergarten in the US) and Grade 1, and I think there are 12 Reception kids. They have a main teacher, a full time assistant and a part-time assistant as well (I think). Its all new to me -- starting school as well as the whole school system in this country -- and I've been feeling very anxious about this day. The whole uniform thing is strange to me and I'm still trying to figure out the rhythm of life here, the way things work and so forth. Hopefully now we will settle into a swing and enjoy the autumn that is on its way! But at least we got today off to a good start and we celebrated with champagne this evening before dinner.
Glad its the weekend now though!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What precious pictures of a brand new experience! Well done, Lewises! We love ya-all!--SBGram

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Rhiannon looks sooooooooo grown up!!!Love you guys Sions xx

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Kristin and I were laughing at how cute the pictures were, and how exciting that Rhiannon is starting school. -Eric

knitshootscore said...

Love the striped shirt photo but the set of 1st day of school photos that follow are just as great. Nice to see these Lisl. Thanks for sharing!
Nancy Barnhart

Espi, Lisa and Isabella said...

A proud day for all :) Cheers to you!

Robin said...

wonderful pix lisl. i know you will find your stride.