Saturday, July 07, 2012

Grandpa Carl's birthday

Today would have been Grandpa Carl's 63rd birthday if he wasn't in heaven right now.
I know his favorite birthday cake of all time was chocolate angel food cake, which is a bit tricky to make if I remember correctly... and it uses a lot of egg whites I think.

So instead I baked a plain chocolate cake to have for "pudding" this night (knowing he probably wouldn't have complained!). We went around the table and shared memories of Grandpa Carl. I told the troops how he used to get really mad at me when I was young, and how I would start laughing right when he was most mad with me, and how that usually didn't improve my situation. He said that someday I would get in Big Trouble for laughing at the wrong moment. I can still remember the way his eyes looked when he was mad like that.

But then I told the story of when Heidi and I wrote a poem together after he was mad at us, which went:
I know you're mad.
That makes me sad,
'Cause now I'm mad.
I hope you're glad.

Or maybe it was just Heidi who made up the poem (she's the creative one) and I stood there with her for support... Anyway, we all had a good laugh around the table remembering Grandpa Carl's wonderful laugh and the thought of him listening to his two little girls reading this poem they wrote to him back about 30 years ago.

No comments: