Wheeler and I drove to Aptos this morning around 10 am and spent the majority of the day just hanging out at their awesome place. It was amazing to reunite with Elizabeth after so many years (~20!) and also to meet Dwight, although apparently we met 20 years ago at the SEG conference in SF which was the last time I saw Elizabeth. Anyway, I had really been looking forward to seeing her again, and indeed she looks and acts exactly the same way I remember her.
They have a beautiful and eccentric spread here, with an exuberance of interesting artwork, beautiful plants and rocks, inviting spots around the house that entice one to lounge and read or nap. It is really cool.
Wheeler, Dwight and at the Sand Point overlook on the Aptos Creek Fire Road trail. I haven't been on a bike for a long time and this ended up being a 30 km ride which was wonderful and a bit hard in places. Dwight knows so much about the history of this area and was generously pointing things out as we cycled up the long hill. Going down was a different story since we just zoomed down! So fun!
We had a fun, funny and delicious dinner altogether (Ali made it in time, which was perfect) - I was pretty blissed out just so grateful to be here with all these good people.
The clocks actually sprung forward in the night, so combined with the jet lag I didn't really know which way was up but I woke quite early and was so happy to have time surrounded by beauty and interesting people, and I got to write loads in my journal. Here is Elizabeth sitting at one of the outdoor dining tables near the outdoor kitchen. Sounds like they had some amazing times here over lockdown in 2020.All too soon it was time to head off. Wheeler kindly lent me his car so I could drive myself to Berkeley and at least then we had to make time to see each other later in the week.Now it's time to get to work!

No comments:
Post a Comment