Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Turn-ing

Rhiannon is taking gymnastics lessons now every Monday night, but here in Norway gymnastics is called "Turn". And so last night we went turn-ing with our friend and neighbor Kristoffer and his Mama Monica.
Of course, all of the little girls in the class wear pink leotards with pink foofy tutus, pink tights and pink ballet shoes. When we went to the first class a couple of weeks ago, Rhiannon didn't have the get-up but somehow she already knew that girls are supposed to wear the pink uniform. She insisted on wearing her old swimsuit (size 2T!) which is mostly pink and sparkly. I talked her into wearing a shirt over the top of it but then vowed to myself to buy her a proper get-up that she would be excited to wear. So when I was in the US last week, I bought her this pink (but not too gaudy) leotard and ballet shoes which are quite a bit too big for her. She was really happy to get to wear it last night (although she had already been wearing it around the house the whole weekend).
Rhiannon and Kristoffer are the oldest in the class and they are really into it. One of the benefits of this is that they don't really want their Mamas by their sides - they want to run and climb and jump all by themselves, so Monica and I get to chat and watch. I thought about signing her up for a 3-5 year old class, but since Kris had already signed up for the 2-4 year old class, we figured that's where we should start.
I brought Tryfan to the first class also, thinking that he would probably want to do it too, but he wasn't ready to let go of my hand. However, I think I will bring him along in future weeks and just let him join in when he wants to.

No comments: